Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hey Hubby! Can We Talk?

OK. I'm back. I guess it's a good thing I didn't set myself up and announce that I would be blogging everyday. :-) Anyway, it has been a very trying couple of weeks with some health issues, but I am on the mend both physically and emotionally. God has placed some really loving family and friends in my life and they are helping me through.

So, this Saturday I will be attending a marriage workshop with my dear hubby on improving our communication, facilitated by my brilliant Hampton University classmate, Dr. James Wadley. This brother is thorough in his knowledge and commitment to healthy relationships. I must say I am both excited and nervous about what we will encounter. My husband and I married on November 24, 2001 after a year and a half of dating. In the eight years that we have been married we have dealt with a job layoff, stolen property, damage to personal property, death of a parent, and the birth of a child...followed by my crippling postpartum depression. Sometimes I am shocked that as a couple we are still standing. The only explanation is that God has never taken His loving hands off of us.

God has also changed my heart. Not so long ago my prayers for my marriage went something like this:

Dear God:
Please change my husband. You know he is wrong. Plese show him the right way. Amen.

I have since learned that while this was certainly a heartfelt prayer, it was also a very selfish and self-serving prayer. With help from strong Christian friends, and prayer and meditation, God taught me the proper way to pray for my marriage.

Dear God:
Thank you for my husband. Please forgive me for all of the hurt that I have knowingly or unknowingly caused him. Please show me how to be not only a good wife, but a god wife to him. Amen.

I am so far from having this right, but that's why life is a journey. God does not expect us to be perfect. We just have to keep striving to be Christ-like. I fall short daily, but it's OK.

OK, so Hubby and I are both looking forward to Saturday, but for slightly different reasons. I'm looking forward to learning new ways to communicate with him, while I think he is more looking forward to our date that will follow the workshop. Our daughter will be spending the night with my parents so we have the WHOLE night all to ourselves. So readers, we need some ideas for a HOT DATE! Did I mention that we have the WHOLE Night! [Giggle! Giggle!] I look forward to sharing what we learn at our workshop with you...and maybe a few details of our date. [Giggle!]

No comments:

Post a Comment